This is actually the post I was planning to post tomorrow, but I can’t wait. I want help now!
I’m itching to change blogs. I need someone to discuss this with, and since I don’t have any RL blogger friends that are close by, I would like to bounce this off you.
Here are my reasons for wanting to switch:
1. I find Blogger annoying sometimes. (I also feel like I’m cheating on it by writing this in a blogger post.) I’ve had issues with the comments, especially. While I love the embedded comment box, it doesn’t always work. That bums me out, and probably bums you out, too.
2. I want to change the blog title. “Kansas girl” is not an adequate description anymore. If I’m going to grow out of the title, now’s the time to do it. I don’t expect to quit blogging anytime soon, so it makes sense to make a clean break for it and shed the outgrown name.
3. Though I’ve known #1 and #2 for a while, I really want to move now because I’ve finally found a name that I love. I won’t share it here as I don’t know if I’ll use it or not and would like to keep it to myself for future use if I don’t. It’s from a Jane Austen quote that I enjoy, and feel like it’s a good fit for me and unique yet not difficult to remember. If you’re a bloggy buddy of mine and are dying to know, email me (or just comment if I have your email) and I’ll let you know what it is. In fact, please do. Before I do this, I want a few “Yes, I love that idea!” first. I don’t want to unwittingly end up with a confusing name.
4. I want a WordPress blog. I like that they have pages. I like that they have 3-column designs. I like their comment boxes better. If I’m going to change my name, I’m changing to WordPress (unless you have a better idea).
Here’s why I’m hesitating:
1. So many of you use blogger. If you use WordPress, do you have a problem with people coming back to you blog since it’s not listed in your blogger account? I know they have a “my webpage” feature thing, but I’ll also have the Book Nook still which will show up under “my blogs.” Will that make it hard for new people to visit me? Or would that be solved if I used my wordpress account to comment, instead?
2. I’m bound to lose people in the move. That would bug me. People that know me as “Kansas girl” will not be able to find me anymore. If you’ve made a similar name change, how’d it go? I’ve made a name for myself (in hopefully an un-Babel way) and don’t want to lose that.
3. Do I go with a regular blog hosted by WordPress, or do I get my own domain name? In all my searching, I haven’t really found any reason why I shouldn’t just let WordPress host it, at least not any that’s worth the cost and the hassle. Do you know any different?
4. As much as I love the potential name, it has a small problem. It’s two words, and the first ends in “t” and the second starts with “h.” That always makes it hard to read when you smoosh the two words together. Should I put a hyphen between: “*******t-h********” ?
5. Do I import old posts? I would love to, but I know that there are often issues with internal links (which I do a lot) and pictures (which I do much less frequently). If you’ve done this, I’d love your insight!
6. WordPress blogs kinda all look alike. There’s little customization. Can I handle that?
Any and all advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated! If all goes well, I’ll switch to WordPress near the beginning of next year!